Thursday, June 17, 2010

Work can be so good!

Sometimes I absolutely love my job and can never imagine doing anything else. Few and far between I have those days where I just want to throw the cup of coffee in the rudest person's face! But as I sit and wonder what life would be like if I had the career I thought I always wanted, a lawyer. I think while I would a little more satisfied personally, I would feel way more guilty about missing my boys day to day lives. I like love being able to build my schedule around our lives and getting time off whenever I need it. I am learning to be just as invested with my time here as I am at home. I no longer feel the twinge of motherhood pulling me down. I am learning to embrace this career as my path to independence from my role as a mother. So while I would like to go back and finish my degree and get a job in the criminal justice arena, it just isn't for me right now or in the immediate future. But when I get the oh so rare opportunity to sit with "the bosses" I always feel so charged up, ready to reignite my own passion for what I do.
So when the opportunity arose for a roundtable with said bosses, well I was so excited and ready. But damn it if I couldn't think of anything I wanted to discuss. I knew I somehow wanted to ask them what do you think we should be reading/learning right now with the company doing what it's doing and the economy still in the pits. So cut to the roundtable and we are talking I am making some good points, feeling good. But I never got to ask my question regarding my personal development. So now what do I do. This was the one thing I really wanted to speak to the bosses about. So I seize the moment and corner the boss. I preframe the question with I'm working on my personal development, love reading, what do you recommend. Yada yada right? He counters me with more questions!!! Now I sit here staring at my computer wanting to send the perfect e-mail so he will know just how smart and eager I am without being too nerdy or ass-kissy. Yes ass-kissy is a word! So if anyone has any ideas feel free to comment. I must now suck down some more coffee and brain storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment