Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Coffee Tawlk!

So I am on twitter. Okay I am obsessed with Twitter! There are so many amazing people out there. Everyday I post my beverage of the day. It's just a little nod to what I am enjoying. It's not always coffee but 95% of the time it is. Anyway I have been enjoying and tweeting about Starbucks Summer Gazebo Blend. It is a favorite of mine since I first started working here way back in the 90's! Okay so it was 1999 but still. It is an east African coffee, that is medium in body with a crisp, clean acidity and floral, fruity notes. Okay so in real people terms: It is not heavy in the mouth but not too light. It has floral/herbally aroma, think lemongrass verbena, and the acidity is like that of a grapfruit. Tart, tangy and straightforward without the overwhelming lips pushing, cheek sucking in, whincing that a lemon would give you. Does anyone taste coffee like you would a wine? We do daily coffee tastings here at my store. We like to test our palettes and sharpen our brains around all things coffee. But even if you are not a coffee master, this is still a great tool for trying out new coffees and to find out what you like and why. You don't just buy a bottle of wine without reading the label or asking someone to describe the wine do you? And you have tasted wine before so you know what descriptive words best describe your flavor profile right? Well the same can be said for coffee. But how do you "taste" coffee you might ask? Here is how:

A french press is how I usually taste but you should use whatever method to brew that is comfortable for you

1. SMELL:  Always the first thing when tasting anything you want to smell it. What we taste is mainly driven by what we smell so cup your hand around your cup and dip your nose in it!

2. SLURP: We slurp for 2 reasons: 1) coffee is hot if you slurp it you won't burn your tongue; 2) you want to coat your palette so you can complete step 3!

3. IDENTIFY: Locate where the coffee hits your tongue. Where do get the full flavor front, back, front sides or back sides. Think bitter, sweet, salty, you know your taste buds.

4. CREATE: Create a description using terms you are familiar with to create your own description of this coffee.

See very simple and fun. Especially when you pair it with food. Food is natural when drinking/tasting coffee. You want to choose flavors to compliment the flavor and aroma of the coffee you are tasting. If you were tasting Gazebo I would suggest a lemon bar or pound cake. Even better lemon poppyseed cake!!! It's my personal fave.

Now for the fun part. THE GIVEAWAY!!!! All you have to do to enter is comment on this post. I will pick a winner Monday. That person will receive a pound of Gazebo blend sent with love and a guided tasting from me to you!! Thanks and happy tasting.

4 comments:

  1. Am I really the first one to post? OMG. Ok - I love coffee about as much as you! My husband loathes it. I used to be a smoker and I had to cut out coffee for about a year when I first quit. Now I am a coffee junkie - it's bad! I am glad I found this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a true coffee obsessed gal. Just found your blog and can't wait to follow up on your posts! The Gazebo blends sound delicious!

    dreamzz12{at}aol{dot}com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! Love to hear I am not the only one with a coffee obsession!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love coffee too. I have to have my first cup before everyone gets up so that I can savor the taste

    ReplyDelete