Friday, July 9, 2010

Wait Farm Workers don't actually work on a farm?

     Okay so in case you haven't heard. The United Farm Workers Association (UFW) has joined forces with The Colbert Report and challeneged Americans to take their jobs. You can visit their website and sign up and a farm worker will train you and give you their job. There have actually been like 3000 people sign up but only 3 actual takers. And honestly I want to know who these 3000 people are. I live in central CA where ag is our business and farm workers work their behinds off. I am thinking these people who signed up and the people who say illegals are taking Americans job don't really understand what it means to be a farm worker, at least not a UFW farm worker.
     So first big thing, they don't actually work on or in farms but in the fields. By fields I mean outside in the blistering sun. In the dirt with no bathrooms or shade. Suffice it to say no a/c or refreshing water coolers. These people work in triple digit weather for pennies! I mean it they do not earn minimum wage nor do they get benefits. Sure some of them get to drive around in cool little quads but very few and mostly the almond guys! People I am an American and I can tell you I DO NOT WANT THEIR JOB!!! And neither do you. Don't get me wrong what they do is not bad it's not beneath me but if other people are willing I sure as hell ain't signing up. I like my a/c, my water with ice all the time, my 8 hour work days ( did I mention they can work like 12 hours a day) oh and my overtime! That's right where every other Californian gets ot for anything over 8 hrs a day not the people in ag.
     My grandparents and up have all at some point worked in the fields. It sucks and there is nothing easy about it. And it is seasonal people! After harvest guess what no more work. Sure there are other farmers to work for and some farms plant a secondary crop in the off season but seriously no one wants these jobs. I know that there are many out there struggling right now, people who have lost jobs and can't find another. My point is these people are not stealing our jobs. But if you still insist come on down see what it's like. It's 102 degrees right now. My fear is that we do round up the illegal field workers and ship them to wherever they came from, what happens to your almonds? The roses? The grapes, both wine and snacking? Ever heard of Grimmway farms and their carrots yup that's a Bakersfield farm too. Look long and hard people. These jobs pay nothing for a tremendous amount of work. Most farmers can't pay minimum wage or give out benefits and those that can don't wanna. In a day and age where there are protesters because a company cut back 401k contributions, do people really want to work for nothing? These people can barely afford to feed and cloth their families. Let's think about this people. Nobody should have to work like this, but that is how it goes on the farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment